Water Walking

Okay.  Matthew 14 has me thinking this morning.

So, in this passage we see some incredible things Jesus does: Jesus mourning John the baptist's death, and Jesus feeding the 5,000, and Jesus walking on the water.

And, in previous chapters, we see Jesus healing the sick, lame, blind, deaf and mute.  His disciples have front row seats to these amazing, miraculous works.  He speaks with authority, He is continually moved with compassion to touch, heal, and meet the need of the hurting, hungry, and lost around him.

Okay, so He responds to the obvious needs around Him.  He is full of compassion... we get this, right? Well, then... why the whole walking-on-the-water thing?  What need is he meeting? Why did He do this?

Hmmm,... so Jesus put his disciples in a boat, and went up into the mountain to be alone and pray.  The disciples start rowing and got stuck in the winds and waves in the middle of the lake.  These were experienced fishermen so they knew how to operate a boat. They knew the danger; they were stuck.

Jesus sees them (supernatural vision?) and goes walking out on the lake.  They see Him, are terrified, thinking He is a ghost.  They "cried out in fear."

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (14:27)


Peter pulls a Gideon: "Lord, if it's you ...tell me to come to you on the water."


“Come,” he said.


I love how Jesus "tells" him to come... so gentle, so clear, an invitation to believe.


Peter stepped out...

 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”


Jesus did this to reveal His Identity, "Hey Guys, I am God!" to the disciples, to increase their faith.  


Wow... 


Just this week, God has grown my faith through bringing a well-loved stuffed Curious George back to my precious niece, after being lost for a few days and some frantic prayers; HE ANSWERED! Curious George is back in the arms of my little K. 



Just this morning... God answered a prayer about some silly (but expensive, as I discovered when I went to the at&t store to replace them but walked out calling out to the LORD, "please help me find the ones I lost!") earbuds!  


I mean, seriously... it sounds silly but each of these were valuable in their own way, albeit minute in the bigger picture.  


In my own dilemma, I had searched high and low, in and out, everywhere to find my missing earbuds - they were good quality with the function to answer the phone as I used them with my phone and the search had taken away hours of my time one day.  YET, this morning, as I sat reading the Word, spending time with Abba, chatting with my roommate, I was mid-sentence to be precise, "we gotta pray we find my...." (I had glanced sideways and saw a skinny wire curled around and stuck behind the little dresser I was sitting next to, not 2 feet from my seat.  I pulled the wire, guess what it was!! MY MISSING EARBUDS!  I had literally torn the room apart just a few weeks ago in search for them, how did I miss them?)  I thought the timing was uncanny.  Perfectly revealing that God was answering my prayer.  I could barely contain myself, well, I didn't.  I just yelled, "LOOK WHAT I FOUND! GOD YOU ARE SO AWESOME!!"


It was the best way to start a Sunday, and actually this starts my week.  I am heading up to Ohio in the morning to a Pastoral Care Conference.  I have been excited about attending this since forever.  The reading I have been doing to prepare for this conference has challenged and encouraged and brought healing to me in many ways, and I am not even there yet!  


As I jumped in the shower... my spirit and heart were just praising the LORD for his goodness and love.  As I worshipped and washed, I sensed Him whisper, "See, I care about these little things, I care, and am undertaking for the big things as well... like peace in the areas you have been concerned about..."  I got out of the shower glowing, not from my sparkling clean skin, but from the happiness in my soul from KNOWING GOD is near, is moving and acting on behalf of the things that concern me, so I don't have to sink in doubt and fear, or even minor frustration: I can walk on the water, believing He is over it all!


HE IS SO GOOD!


So... why did He walk on the water... probably the same reason He answered my prayer this morning: to show His Love, Power, Glory, Goodness, and to increase my Faith! 


Thank You LORD God!! Thank You!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Eve

TAGGED

The Heart....