Glories of Mowing Grass

Hello!  This is an OLD unpublished blog post... it is significant in my walk with Jesus.  I share... even though it is a few years old.

(August 2018) It's a great Wednesday here at home, summer as come, graciously opening up my schedule to sit here in my ugly orange chair, sip coffee, and savor the sound of my H/VAC unit humming to keep my house cool as the heat and humidity sizzle my yard in Columbia, SC.

Care to join me for coffee?  Please ignore the objects strewn across the guest bed which dual purposes as my foot rest, the empty breakfast plate, and the snoozing furkids.  Make yourself at home!  How have you been? What is God doing in you?

My transition into summer is always an adjustment; the adrenaline begins to fall, the to-do list lengthens, appointments and coffee dates are scheduled, and blogging mornings like this anticipated.  Still, adjustment happens, sometimes not so smooth.  Often I feel I am such an odd duck, here is what I have been waiting for with great anticipation and then there is this swirl of emotion, excessive need for solitude AND people all at the same time, but not just any people... like ones who give me what I need: listening hearts, affirmation, and good-non-smothering company.  Not picky in the least, am I?

So, let's talk about reality: the grass in my yard needed mowing.  I actually enjoy mowing, it opens up space and time to listen to podcasts, sermons, music. I can be all in my head, processing away as I make my yard a beautiful place.  The other evening, I felt the need for this space.  I had been with people, under a schedule and with crowds that were enjoyable, just full.  It was time to breath... and think, and be alone. 

Mowing is the perfect remedy. 

My soul was hungry for something not so heavy, easy digesting: I chose my accompaniment to be worship music by Bethel worship.  The music poured over me like the balm of Gilead with each stride adding steps on Fitbit and every turn of the mowers blade.  Phrases blended between the melody began to focus in my head, ministering to the hungers of my soul.

Then a phrase floated up from the bridge of a particular song,

You're never gonna let
You're never gonna let me down

This phrase made me uncomfortable.  I was like, I have walked through many disappointments.  Life is hard on many levels, and I, being a 4 on the enneagram, often carry around loads of pain, emotional weight and deep underpinnings that create many, many questions.  How could this phrase be true?

 
The words challenged me.

But then...

The Spirit challenged me... to see the perspective I was viewing these words: from my pain, my experience, my questions.... 

IF I set this phrase within the truth of God's character, God's Word: He is good.  He doesn't change.  He works ALL things out for good.  He, HIS CHARACTER, HIS HEART, is for me.  HE will not let me down. 

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

HE does NOT fail.  HE does not disappoint.  HE is perfect; I can Be confident that HE will not let me down in His work, His grace, His goodness.  My plans may fail, my flesh will fail, my heart will fail, my understanding is finite.... 

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we also have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we celebrate in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also celebrate in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.  Romans 5:1-5

I realized... my eyes and heart must not define God's character and nature through the lens of my life, my experiences and disappointments.  He is defined by His Truth, Love, and Character. 


When I finished mowing my yard, not only had my yard had a makeover, but my heart and mind had had a spiritual transformation.... He had created a new perspective, and it was beautiful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Eve

TAGGED

The Heart....